January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 06 00:57

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, nbs wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 02:09:36PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> >
> > I guess it depends on what "portable" means.  Is a language portable if
> > programs *can* be made portable, or if it *forces* programs to be
> > portable?
>

> If the former, then even BASIC is portable :)
>
>   PRINT "HELLO"
[Insert Beaker here :]
> But - that first 'program' at the top is portable! ;)

Are you sure?  I think you need a number in the front:

   10 PRINT "HELLO"

:)

Food for thought:

Is PERL, an interpreted language like BASIC, portable?  Are SDL programs,
compiled using C or C++, portable?  Is QuickBASIC, using P-CODE to compile
programs (a technique similar to .NET's), portable?

-Mark

PS: FYI, the way QuickBASIC "compiled" BASIC programs was to make P-CODE
out of BASIC program, then stick it at the end of a precompiled
executable. At runtime, the precompiled executable would read the P-CODE
and run it piece-by-piece.  So basically it was interpreting your BASIC
code even if you "compiled" it.  It was rediculously lazy of Microsoft...

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/