2002 Jun 05 16:29

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > > is .NET code portable or not?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> rod was saying the answer was essentially no.  that you *could* make it
> portable,

I guess it depends on what "portable" means.  Is a language portable if
programs *can* be made portable, or if it *forces* programs to be
portable?

> but were given the opportunity and perhaps even encouraged to
> make it non-portable.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

==8<--
> > > i was also confused by:
> > >
> > >      .NET uses .dll files to link some code, but these would have
> > >      meaning on a linux platform too.
> > >
> > > how is this possible?
> >
> > What he meant was you'd be loading .so files instead of .dll on Linux
> > using the same syntax but different file names.  He meant the syntax would
> > have a meaning on Linux, not the DLL filename.
>
> this is hardly what i would think of as platform agnostic code.  i can
> hardly think of anything *less* platform agnostic than making reference
> to a system library.

Umm.  I agree that the word "agnostic" being improper in the context.

Overall, as a developer, I like the idea that a program can be working at
a low level if necessary.  I don't like the Windows API, though (too
complex...), but I'll probably use this interfacing feature to interface
with APIs I know, perhaps SDL.DLL :)  I am a little weary that MS is
heading this, though.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim