2002 Jun 05 14:10

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

Re: [vox] Gopher: New use for old software.

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > speaking of which, i have a question about last night's talk.
> >
> > is .NET code portable or not?
>
> Yes.

rod was saying the answer was essentially no.  that you *could* make it
portable, but were given the opportunity and perhaps even encouraged to
make it non-portable.

> > i'm asking because of a strange thing he mentioned (paraphrase):
> >
> >      .NET code doesn't hide the details of the platoform.  it lets
> >      differences of different the platform percolate through.
> >
> > what exactly does this mean?   it _sounds_ like .NET code is NOT
> > platform independent.
>
> >From what I gather from the talk, you have a #ifdef-like feature (in
> C-speak) so platform-specific stuff can still work across platforms.  So
> if you use the platform-specific stuff it's not portable on all systems,
> but it is on systems it is designed to run on.
>
> > i was also confused by:
> >
> >      .NET uses .dll files to link some code, but these would have
> >      meaning on a linux platform too.
> >
> > how is this possible?
>
> What he meant was you'd be loading .so files instead of .dll on Linux
> using the same syntax but different file names.  He meant the syntax would
> have a meaning on Linux, not the DLL filename.

this is hardly what i would think of as platform agnostic code.  i can
hardly think of anything *less* platform agnostic than making reference
to a system library.

pete