2002 May 27 15:12

[vox] lugod in linuxgames.com (and other gaming stuff)

[vox] lugod in linuxgames.com (and other gaming stuff)

http://www.linuxgames.com/

   FlightGear Presentation at LUGOD -
   Saturday May 25 17:15:26 2002 - Updated by AlKini

   In today's better-late-than-never news, three guys from the FlightGear
   project gave a presentation on and a demonstration to the LUGOD of
   Davis, CA. photos (by Bill Kendrick), presentation slides, and meeting
   notes are available.

pretty cool stuff.  the most prominant first picture is sam, looking
like some kind of kung-fu master with his long hair and "will code for"
t-shirt.  he DEFINITELY looks like someone who logs many hours at a
keyboard...

btw, concerning the unreal article.  i've known for over a year that you
can play unreal with the unreal tournament engine.  i've been meaning to
write an installer.  looks like it got written.  for those who are
unfamiliar with this: unreal tournament is pretty much like quake 3, but
the weapons are less deadly and the graphics are less real.  you tend to
"stick around more" and die less.  some people like that better.

however, unreal is an FPS based on a storyline, and i don't mean a
storyline like quake2 or doom (which is more of an afterthought than a
plot).  unreal is all about plot, very similar to half-life.  unreal
also has the *best* graphics i've ever seen in any game.

lastly, rhonda and i are playing grim fandango, a win32 graphic
adventure, on linux.  in this game you play the grim reaper, manuel
calavera, who sells travel packages to the newly deceased in the land of
the dead.  you discover corruption in the bureau you work for.  cute
storyline.

we're using winex and everything seems to be AOK.  the worst thing i can
say is that it won't allow you to name the saved games.  you just have
to press "enter" and they get saved under the defualt name "saved game".
we had to restart the program twice when the sound got our of sync with
animation.  but the game is fully playable under winex.

i picked up grim fandango for 5 bucks at frys.  highly recommend it if
you want to play a graphics adventure on linux (although i would
recommend you playing a lucasarts scumm game first, like day of the
tentacle).

pete