2002 May 23 10:53

Re: [vox] Re: [vox][ot] Why threaded mailer (Was posting etiquette on vo

Re: [vox] Re: [vox][ot] Why threaded mailer (Was posting etiquette on vox-tech)

> the key to getting comfortable with mutt is choosing the key bindings
> that work with you.  most of us are pine converts (and a few are elm
> converts).

You can start mutt with a preset file of pine keybindings (provided with
mutt as /usr/doc/mutt/examples/Pine.rc).  In fact, on my systems,
/usr/local/bin/pine is this shell script:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/mutt -F /usr/doc/mutt/examples/Pine.rc

I.e., when you type "pine", you get mutt in pine-emulation mode.

Unfortunately for pine users, it's typically not _really_ the
keybindings they yearn for, so much as pine's distinctive, well-designed
screen/menu layout and the "pilot" file-browser module.  Compared to
those, even with pine keybindings and a well-tuned .muttrc file, mutt
takes a bit of getting used to and is less "friendly".

I personally love mutt, but in fairness to pine users feel obliged to
warn them that it's a bit different, and one can only go so far in
easing the transition.

Happily, in the case of the pico text editor, there's a superior but
100% compatible GPLed replacement, nano.  Thus, on my systems,
/usr/local/bin/pico is a symlink to nano (http://www.nano-editor.org/).

Several prototypes are downloadable from the http://www.mutt.org/ site.

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.