2002 May 24 11:48

[vox] OT: Folk Heroes

A friend of mine, an ardent M$ junkie, asked me why I was so excited
that Rasmus Lerdorf is coming to speak to LUGOD.  I tried to explain,
and the subject turned to "folk heroes" in the GNU/Linux/OSS community.
I threw out names like Eric Raymond, Larry Wall, Linus Torvalds, etc.,
etc.  Then we tried to come up with some similar names for the M$ world,
and I couldn't come up with a single one.

So, before I go out into the world and explain to people that one of the
reasons why the Linux community is so cool is because it lends itself to
the creation of folk heroes like that while the Microsoft community
really doesn't seem to, can anyone come up with similar folk heroes for
Windows?

On another note, if my thesis is true, then I find it really interesting
that GNU/Linux/etc., the "IPR destroying virus" which discourages
innovation, has more well-known names among the developers than the
millions of faceless Windows coders whose rights are so well
protected...

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford