2002 May 21 18:40

Re: [vox] Motherboard + CPU advice

begin Matthew Johnson <matthew@psychohorse.com>
> Good day,
>
>    Thinking about replacing my motherboard in an upgrade and wondered about
> which upgrade to get, anyone hvae good advice? I'd like to avoid having to
> get the expensive DDR ram for now.

wachoo talkin' bout wilis?  DDR ram ain't expensive!

128MB of DDR ram can be had for 20 bucks.
256MB of DDR ram can be had for 40 bucks

exactly how much cheaper do you want your ram for?   ;-)   non-DDR ram
is going to be just a few bucks less than this!

as for motherboards, i just saw a dual athlon MP (that's their SMP
system) mobo at frys for $120.   an athlon 1.2GHz MP should be on the
order of $70 or $80.

otoh, an athlon 1.4GHz XP should be about the same price ($80) with a cheaper
motherobard.

HTH!

pete