2002 May 21 16:10

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

in the interests of not contuing this thread for TOO much longer, i'm
only replying to the points i feel strongest about:

begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > 2. RMS is justified in feeling put-off that GNU gets no billing (other
> >   than debian).
>
> Why? Because *he* isn't the cenetr of attention?

not "he".  "it".  the free software foundation.  i could be wrong, but i
think he wants the FSF to have recognition, not necessarily himself.

i understand this is based not on knowledge, but conjecture.  i don't
think anyone here really knows the truth other than RMS himself.

> a flying, land-based or nautical fuck.  He feels put off so he compounds
> it by behaving in a way that guarantees being marginalized even
> more. Good, soon maybe he will totally go off the deep end and be ignored
> to the point of banishment.

maybe you feel that way, but certainly not me.  the work being done on
gcc to make it C99 compliant has had a *direct* consequence on my life
as a scientist.

i feel more excited when i see libc or gdb updates than when i see a new
kernel release.

> On civility:

point taken.  so i can discount his words as much as your own.  ;-)

> > that's fine -- i have no problem with your opinion of the dude.
>
> Really?

really.  i'm not an RMS groupie; i just really appreciate his work.

> > if raster, horms, san mehat and mandrake changed the license of
> > their software simply because (quote):
> >
> >       "hey hate stallman's dreck so much they won't even deign to use
> >       his licenses"
> >
> > and not because:
> >
> >       "they don't like the terms of the licenses"
> >
> > then that's a testament to their own childish stupidity.
> > i would hope they can separate the man from license.
>
> Actually its a testament/protest to the intractability and annoying nature
> of RMS.

i disagree.  it's beyond silly.  a work stands or falls on its own
merit.  not on the personality of its creator.

it sounds like you obsess as much on RMS as he obsesses on the
"GNU/linux" thing.

> Can you seperate RMS from his license?

yes.  anyone who can't has no business licensing software; they should
create their work and find a lawyer to take care of the license.

> The two are so tightly woven
> togther perception wise (and perception is as good as reality to most
> folks)

that doesn't make it right.  it just demonstrates the dictum "the masses
are asses".  unfortunately, this indicates that mandrake, raster, horms
and san mehat (who should know better) fall into this catagory.  very
unfortunate.    :-(

pete