2002 May 21 12:01

Re: [vox] Stallman on Slashdot

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 10:40 am, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):
> > My view: I respect Stallman's contributions, but I'm gonna
> > call it Linux.
>
> That is, of course, changing the subject.

If so, I do it proudly.  :-)

> > Also I think RMS's request that LUGs change their names in
> > return for his presence is offensive.
>
> So, given his view about the proper name of the system, you would have
> preferred that he _not_ offer to come to groups willing to change their
> names to reflect his preferences, in order to avoid giving offence?
> This doesn't seem very emotionally balanced, either.

Hmm, I feel pretty balanced.  My point is that when someone
chooses a name for themselves, their baby, or their
organization, it reflects a great deal of thought and
personal investment.  Therefore when someone else asks you
to change that name, it gets personal.

Which is just a long-winded way of saying that the offensive
nature of the request *should* be obvious.

If you or RMS were to check with Miss Manners about how to
avoid offense, I think the answer would be to simply and
politely decline the invitation.

> This entire discussion reminds me of an observation I made to Eric
> Raymond over dinner, a few months ago:  I said that, if you've covered
> an issue well enough that rational, balanced listeners don't have anything
> left to say in reply, you've created a silence that can and will be
> filled by crackpot views, as the only available counterpoint remaining.

"Well enough" is usually a matter of opinion.  What you seem
to be saying is that those who disagree with yours must be
irrational, unbalanced crackpots.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/