2002 May 20 17:09

Re: [vox] NBLUG in need of help

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 09:40:30AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Bill, it's not all that enticing for people to get involved with NBLUG
> when its Web site is unmaintained (showing obsolete meeting data being
> the biggest problem)

Kinda like BALUG! ;) ;)

They've usually been on the ball, though.

<snip>
> The obvious way is to (1) show up at the meetings,

I'd like to do this.  I could use it as a rendevous point to meet
some other north-bay geek friends.

> and (2) volunteer to
> take on some of the group's essential functions:  maintaining the Web
> site,

Possible...

> lining up speakers,

Also possible...  Though I'm already a bit overwhelmed with LUGOD.

> reserving the monthly meeting venue,

Someone closer should do that. :)

> supervising the meeting (emceeing), and so on.

Someone closer should DEFINITELY do that. :)

> It would be really nice, too, if someone would either retrofit MHonARC /
> Hypermail / etc. to their Majordomo setup or convert it over to GNU
> Mailman (among other things, giving them a Web archive).  The latter
> isn't difficult.  Either Marc Merlin or I could help them do it (as
> could you, I wouldn't doubt).
<snip>

Nope, not I.  I haven't done any mailing list or list archival stuff.
LUGOD's has been handled by Henry House and Pete Salzman, and in the
past, folks at Mother.com, I believe.

BTW - I just signed up for their list yesterday, and poked in to say
"hi, you guys need help?"  The one response so far (which I didn't
read all of yet) mentions your "Recipe for a Successful LUG," so
they at least know what direction they should be going in.