2002 May 17 17:49

Re: [vox] MD5 Checksums and Public Downloading

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Shwaine (shwaine@malevolence.com):
>
> > Not to throw oil on a budding flame, but isn't the core of the
OpenPGP
> > signature (or any RSA digital signature for that matter) generating
> > a message digest (e.g. a hash like MD5, among others) of the data
> > and signing said hash output rather than the data itself?
>
> I look forward to seeing your performance and usability tests on
660 MB
> files, and am willing to donate a few in the name of science.

Ah, so I see your plan is to throw around misdirections and strawmen
rather than address the valid points which Micah and I have raised.
I bet you are a real joy around the office. No matter. Let us address
your concerns as they are. If you use the MD5 checksum mode which
is recommended as a hash alternative to SHA-1 in the OpenPGP specification,
the generation of the MD5 checksum will take a time comparable to
generating the md5sum of the file from the command line. There will
then be the added overhead of computing the signature of the checksum,
which would take as much time as computing the signature for any
message, since the signature is always computed on the constant sized
checksum. Overall, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of time
is spent on computing the MD5 checksum since signing short messages
with an OpenPGP compiliant program does not take an inordinant amount
of time. Therefore, your concerns that signing the file would take
longer than computing the md5sum seem rather moot when using MD5
for the OpenPGP digest (if using SHA-1, the time of course may differ
wildly).

Now, if you are so concerned about the times, why don't you try some
side by side generations of signatures (using the MD5 digest not
SHA-1) and md5sum time trials. I really have far more pressing things
to do with my time, such as research.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000