2002 May 15 19:21

Re: [vox] Overheard...

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> a network gateway, i think, is a computer that has two IP addresses and
> acts as an interface between two networks.  i'm pretty sure this doesn't
> describe (any?  most?) DSL modems.

Unless you are MS. Then, a gateway is, "an application layer redirector or
proxy server". This was according to their MSNE from a few years back and
their NT 4.0 testing.

Checking nearly any RFC shows that the rest of the world thought a gateway
was a layer 3/4 (mostly 3) router.

(Yet another reason why I personally evaluate someone that is *only* MCSE
as a warning sign. People that have other certs or Linux backgrounds in
addition, seem to have been able to better resolve the different worlds.)

> at least, this is my world view of things.   :-)

Sure. I see how it is. You are going with what the *industry* uses as a
standard, not a new MS Standard. Fine. Be that way. See if MS will be nice
to you ever again.

How many MS Company Standards Writers does it take to screw in a light
bulb?

None. They declare a broken lightbulb an industry "standard".

Damn. Now they won't ever be nice to me either. *What* *a* *shame*.

Enjoy,
-ME