2002 May 15 23:26

Re: [vox] Overheard...

begin joseph e arruda <zeruch@dibona.com>

> On Wed, 15 May 2002, andy wergedal wrote:
>

> > Damn, and I thought that I could just 'pound' my network
> > cable into the phone jack and get DSL.

LOL!!!   hilarious...

> <sarcasm>
> If DSL stands for Dumb St00pid Luser then, yes :)
> But we wont talk about OS/2 users that way...
> </sarcasm>
>
> One of my biggest gripes has been the use of the term 'modem' for what is
> just a fucking network gateway, amongst a whole litany of complaints of
> how DSL companies are dorks.

actually, i think "modem" is the correct term here.  your computer needs
to be in sync with the DSLAM located in pacbell's central office.  this
is done by modulating/demodulating a signal on a carrier wave.  when DSL
was new, people were fond of saying "the DSL modem isn't really a
modem".  but it's my understanding that it IS a modem.  just not a modem
that most people are familiar with.

the difference is that the signal starts out digital and remains digital
(although in some kind of sense *all* digital signals are really
analog).  the 56K modems we all know and love have a D/AC, but this is a
separate issue from modulating/demodulating a signal onto/off-of a
carrier.

a network gateway, i think, is a computer that has two IP addresses and
acts as an interface between two networks.  i'm pretty sure this doesn't
describe (any?  most?) DSL modems.

at least, this is my world view of things.   :-)

pete

ps- i never mentioned this, but anytime anyone ever cursed on vox, i
used to get flooded with bounces from content filters.  it used to make
me cringe whenever i saw cursing because i knew 10 or 15 bounces were
headed my way per post.  and heaven forbid it became a popular vox
thread...   but i've noticed i don't get bounces anymore.  i'm not sure
if mailman filters them or if the people in question have resubscribed
using home email addresses rather than work email addresses.

anyway, just thought i'd share that with y'all.   :)