2002 May 15 00:20

Re: [vox] The 5 W's of "vox"...

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Melissa wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:
>
> >    - Whose idea was it to use the term "vox" for our mailing lists?
>

> It was my idea.

It was my first guess... the linguist comes up with all the names... :)

> Marianne Waage went to an independent high school named
> Nova and worked on the newspaper there, called Vox Nova.  I always thought
> that was a clever name...  Voice of the school, the New Voice...

So is this list officially "Vox LUGOD"?

> When we were naming the officers (of which I also take credit for
> root, devnull and the idea behind typescript) and what we were all
> obviously in a giggly goofy mood.

If I may be frank... "root" and "typescript" are clever, but "/dev/null"
makes no sense, and "sys" is kind of confusing in presence of "root"
("root" is #1 on UNIX, but "sysop" is #1 on BBS...)

What do you guys think about changing "/dev/null" to "/dev/zero", and
"sys" to "wheel" (yes, "wheel" :)?

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> >    - Why latin?  Why not German or French or Spanish?  Or English, for
> >      that matter...
>
> no idea, other than i'm pretty sure magic users and illusionists
> regularly cast spells in latin.

... Abraca Dabra is latin?

> i think you answered this one yourself.  vox is the voice of lugod.
> vox-tech is the voice of technical matters.  vox-announce is the voice
> of the lugod officers.   it fits.   :-)
>
> other lists can call themselves vox.  but only vox@lists.lugod.org can
> claim the distinction of being the voice of lugod...

Except if, theoretically, I joined another mailing list called 'vox', I
couldn't visually filter the mail properly simply by looking at the
subject line.  I could filter them by the "To:" line, but for mailing
lists like LUGOD that used to have multiple valid mailing list addresses
things get very hairy (sp?)...

> btw, do they have boston public in japan?  last night was an awesome
> episode!   (not giving anything away, but the ending was ... VERY
> surprising).

Oh yeah... that was such a great episode.  I can't wait until the next
one.

No, I didn't see Boston Public on TV in Japan.  The only American shows
I've seen on TV in Japan are "ER" and some children's programming
(something about two lions by a castle or something).  FYI, "ER" is in
English if you turn on SAP! :)

I also watched a Korean movie on TV in Korean (Korean was on SAP :)

> ps- that was only 3 "w"'s!

Sorry.  I used the generic term (Who, What, When, Where, Why) simply to
clarify the subject line.  "The 3 W's of 'vox'" would have been simply
too confusing...

-Mark :)

--
Mark K. Kim