2002 May 14 16:33

Re: [vox] The 5 W's of "vox"...

begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
> I asked this before, but I never got a satisfying answer:
>
>    - Whose idea was it to use the term "vox" for our mailing lists?

i believe it was either marianne waage or remington stone.  i can't even
remember, but i think it was one of them.

>    - Why latin?  Why not German or French or Spanish?  Or English, for
>      that matter...

no idea, other than i'm pretty sure magic users and illusionists
regularly cast spells in latin.

>    - Why pick such an ambiguous word?  (ie. "voice" of what?  I got
>      lots of mailing lists I subscribe to, all of which I guess are
>      voices of *something*.  AMOF, all my e-mails are voices of someone
>      else or myself!)

i think you answered this one yourself.  vox is the voice of lugod.
vox-tech is the voice of technical matters.  vox-announce is the voice
of the lugod officers.   it fits.   :-)

other lists can call themselves vox.  but only vox@lists.lugod.org can
claim the distinction of being the voice of lugod...

btw, do they have boston public in japan?  last night was an awesome
episode!   (not giving anything away, but the ending was ... VERY
surprising).

pete

ps- that was only 3 "w"'s!