2002 May 14 14:08

Re: [vox] wine question -- licenses

Sure Pete, no problem!

The only caveat is that they have a confidentiality clause when you sign
up. They don't want you talking about what you see to the press, I
suppose. That kinda sucks because I think the positive attention in the
Linux community would help them.

So unless we get permission from them, I think a talk would be out, unless
we wait until the release of version 1.0 (scheduled for sometime this
year).

Doug (who *hates* gag orders...)

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hey doug,
>
> begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>
> > Hey Pete,
> >
> > 3. Specifically, there are no WINE source code mods here, because ALL of
> > our WINE changes (even those changes we made when WINE was X11) have been
> > submitted for inclusion to the main LGPL wine tree.  Pretty much all of
> > our changes were accepted and are currently in wine.  Lindows.com
> > currently does all their development on the LGPL wine tree, submitting all
> > our changes back.
>
> oh, that is SO cool.  boy, i hope this company thrives!  i love hearing
> about people supporting the wine effort.  the fork in the wine codebase
> is prolly nearly as depressing as the demise of VA linux.
>
> > (I went ahead, took the plunge and joined their Insiders program--I am
> > itching to see just how far along they've come! I will let you know what
> > I think once I've downloaded the Lindows ISO).
>
> w00t!  even if you don't have much to say, this is worthy of a talk.
> even if it ends up being a 45 minute talk, i'm sure alot of us would
> _really_ like to see this thing in action!
>
> i've been considering taking the plung myself, but i've been hard at
> work with school and don't have the time to really give this thing a
> good solid try.  i might invest in it once it goes out of testing
> though.
>
> cool beans!  thanks doug!
>
> pete
>
> > On Tue, 7 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>

> > > i guess what i was getting at is whether the LGPL will hinder the use of
> > > wine in lindows?   wine was previously MIT/X11 licensed.  that has no
> > > restrictions at all (other than leaving the name of the original
> > > author type stuff).   lgpl is *much* more restrictive from a commercial
> > > venture's point of view.
> > >
> > > in fact, the change to lgpl made a fork in wine.  there's now "rewind"
> > > which is an MIT/X11 version of the now LGPL wine.
> > >
> > > pete

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
www.dooglio.net