January 6: Social gathering
2002 May 14 10:33

Re: [vox] wine question -- licenses

Hey Pete,

Here is your answer to the LGPL question with regards to Lindows. The
following comes from a readme file at the lindows FTP site:

[snip]
3. Specifically, there are no WINE source code mods here, because ALL of
our WINE changes (even those changes we made when WINE was X11) have been
submitted for inclusion to the main LGPL wine tree.  Pretty much all of
our changes were accepted and are currently in wine.  Lindows.com
currently does all their development on the LGPL wine tree, submitting all
our changes back.
[snip]

(I went ahead, took the plunge and joined their Insiders program--I am
itching to see just how far along they've come! I will let you know what
I think once I've downloaded the Lindows ISO).

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> > On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 04:45:15PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > does anyone know how wine's change to LGPL from MIT/X11 will affect
> > > lindows?
> >
> > Dunno offhand, but it's not TOO much to worry about.
> > If the code was previously (L)GPL'd, it's still (L)GPL'd, and all
> > freedoms and restrictions will still apply.
>
> i guess what i was getting at is whether the LGPL will hinder the use of
> wine in lindows?   wine was previously MIT/X11 licensed.  that has no
> restrictions at all (other than leaving the name of the original
> author type stuff).   lgpl is *much* more restrictive from a commercial
> venture's point of view.
>
> in fact, the change to lgpl made a fork in wine.  there's now "rewind"
> which is an MIT/X11 version of the now LGPL wine.
>
> pete

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
www.dooglio.net