2002 May 09 16:47

Re: [vox] [OT] russian holiday

On Thursday 09 May 2002 02:31 pm, you wrote:

> * russia celebrates victory over germany in WWII MUCH more than we do.
>   we pretty much don't celebrate it.  rather, we half-heartedly make
>   v-day a holiday.  over there, it's a huge national celebration, to
>   this day.

This is understandable for two reasons.  The Russians suffered a whole lot
more than the Americans did in WWII.  Secondly, the Russians were basically
the ones that won the war.  When the allies hit Normandy The Soviets had
already beaten the Germans.  The eastern front was heading westward, and had
the allies not gotten off their asses the Soviets would have gotten as far as
the English Channel.

> * i thought it was interesting he said "the fascists" rather than what
>   most americans would say -- "nazis".  i almost wonder if there's a
>   value system implied here.

This is interesting because Mussolini's fascism is basically state worship.
The individual gets meaning for his or her life through identifiying with the
successes of the state.  (You know, like with patriotism.)  The Nazis, at
least in theory, didn't think that much of the state.  For them, the ideal
was the "racial community."  Though from my perspective the Nazi's did appear
to be a bunch of state worshippers.  And since the Germans were the big
threat, and did all of the damage to Russia, I would have thought that your
friend would have referred to the Nazis.

Bob