2002 May 03 09:31

Re: [vox] A web-based port scanner....?

hi richard,

whenever you're looking for an application, go to www.freshmeat.net.
it's quite complete and even includes things like popularity (to see
what everyone else is using) and screen shots.  it's a well designed
site.  the administrators have been very responsive to my emails about
projects that have died or changed licenses.

a search on freshmeat for "scanner" should yield (untested) at least
two port scanners -- nmap (line based, hacker industry standard) and
saint (web based, aging.  never worked too well for me, confusing
interface).

satan is (as i understand it) a precursor to saint.

there's also something called sara which is like saint/satan.  these are
the people that put out tara, which is a cops-like system level security
auditor.  i've used tara and it's quite thorough.  a bit too through.

pete

begin Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>