2002 May 03 10:55

Re: [vox] [OT] Turning rats into robots

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> file this under "now i'm gonna be sick...HURL!"
>
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/tech/Robots_and_Robotics/
>
>         By implanting electrodes in rats' brains, scientists have created
>         remote-controlled rodents they can command to turn left or right,
>         climb trees and navigate piles of rubble.
>
> what i'd *really* like to know is -- when lego mindstorms will come with
> a rat brain electrode accessory kit.   i wonder if linux will ever be
> ported to the rat platform.
>
> so now you can run muclinux on the hitachi H8 AND the motorolla rat.
>
> on an unrelated topic, but equally as gross...
>
> did anyone see the fistulated cow at picnic day?  the school stopped the
> barbaric act of letting hundreds of people stick their hands inside the
> guts and intestines of a cow.  but now they made a HUGE paper mache of
> a cow with a big ol' hole right in the middle.  they painted the hole
> green, presumably to show you the grass being digested in the stomach.
>
> ugh.

Pete! I just saw the rat article on the front page of the Davis
Enterprise and logged in to tell you. Ack, you already saw it. I checked
PETA (www.peta.com), but no comments yet.

I think it is a neat implementation of old science and no one would
complain if it were an insect. Did I ever tell you about the PETA rep
that explained to me that it is OK to experiment on insects because they
are not animals? I would like to see their cladograms.

Eric "I've never had any of my limbs up a cow" Engelhard