2002 May 02 19:29

Re: [vox] Win4Lin vs VMWare...

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 06:59 pm, tlburnett@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> <RUMOR>
> My friend with Windows XP has an external?!? (he says) winmodem that
> wasn't supported.  He uses VMWare to run 98 and then shares the modem from
> that.
> </RUMOR>
>
> I don't think your DC10 driver will work, because VMWare won't pass it
> through its hardware layer.  You get VMWare's SVGA Driver, hard drive
> driver, sound driver (SB16 compatible), and network driver (AMD PCNet),
> regardless of what you really have in the system.

Well, if it's a serial modem ( I'm assuming it is ) there's not any reason
for it to not work. Windows in VMware would simply access the virtual serial
port that's hooked up to ( I just checked, it CAN share these ) and access
the modem over that. VMware wouldn't care what's going over the serial port,
so it would work.

But an external winmodem? UGH!