2002 May 02 15:01

Re: [vox] Printouts for WEF

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:18:09PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> bill,
>
> excellent job!!!  one question, though
>
> begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> >
> > 2. Microsoft - Not Just Buggy Software, Privacy Invasion, too!
> >
> >     * Microsoft is Watching You
> >       + WinXP Search Assistant silently downloads files
>
> are you sure this correct?
>
> a few weeks ago i remember reading that when you searched your local
> hard drive the search assistant silently uploaded personal information
> to microsoft.com.   i didn't hear anything about silently downloading
> files to your local hard drive (although i'm sure that happens anyway.
> the personal info thing was the bit that made the news though).

Erm... Yeah.  I think here it's a matter of vocabulary.
Lots of people aren't as smart as you and I, and call /everything/
a "download."

"I downloaded a bunch of files to my MP3 player."

Using a strict definition of 'download', you can't "download TO" something.
You "UPLOAD to" it.  You "download FROM" it.

I simply cut-n-pasted the title of the document.  I suppose I could've
done some Editorial, and renamed it to:

  "WinXP Search Assistant silently [uploads] files"

But I'm not sure that it's even FILES it's uploading.  It's data.

But... whatever... Sounds intrusive. ;)

> also -
>
> >     * MSN.com shuts out non-MS browsers
>
> i didn't hear about this.  msn.com seems to be ok with opera identifying
> itself as mozilla.   shockingly, msn.com also looks good with lynx too.
> even better, becuase there's no rolling images and advertisings.

  "MSN.com shuts out non-Microsoft Browsers"

    By Sandeep Junnarkar
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com
    October 25, 2001, 11:30 AM PT

  Some people trying to access Microsoft's MSN.com with a
  non-Microsoft browser are finding themselves locked out.

That article can be found here:

  http://news.com.com/2100-1023-274944.html?legacy=cnet

> was this non-MS browser thing remedied?

I'm sure MUCH of this stuff has been remedied.  Just so people don't
get confused or annoyed, I realize that LOTS of this stuff is now moot.
Viruses have been squashed.  Security holes plugged.  Policies changed.

The point of these docs aren't to show "the current trouble with Microsoft,"
though...  It's meant to generally just show the fact that

  "MAN, Microsoft has been lots of trouble!"

Since there are quite a few very recent entries in there (like the recent
re-outbreak of Klez), it really strikes the point:

  "MAN, Microsoft has been, and still IS, lots of trouble!"

> everything else looks fantastic!

:)  Thanks!  Some printouts are coming out a little odd.
To keep everything to one page, some things were printed landscape
instead of portrait.  Some things were shrunk down using "psnup".

It's all readable, and gets to the point, though. :)

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/