2002 May 02 14:19

[vox] Printouts for WEF

Here's what I have so far:

LUGOD's welcome handout:

  http://www.lugod.org/welcome/

The Free Software Definition

  http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

The Open Source Definition

  http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html

Open Code in public procurement

  http://harvard.pawlo.com/newsf03.html

And three documents containing "the best of" my own set of links/quotes
( from http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/microsoft/ ):

1. Some Recent Micorsoft Viruses, Worms & Security Holes:

    [ note - quote titles changed from my original document, above ]

    * Losing your data and privacy
      + Steal other people's Windows files!
      + Internet Explorer Bug allows Eavesdropping
      + W32.Myparty@mm   [ causes backdoor trojan ]
      + Hotmail Hole
      + Sircam Virus Emails your personal documents to others
      + Others can read, modify or delete your Outlook mail
      + XML Core Services bug
      + Plug-and-Play Vulnerability   [ take over a computer ]

    * No need to double-click that virus
      + Welyah virus
      + Visiting a website can install a virus
      + Outlook exploit - no need to even open the message
      + Internet Explorer bug can run arbitrary programs and viruses automa...

    * Who do you trust?
      + W32.Gibe@mm   [ disguses itself as MS securty update ]
      + 'Powerpuff Girls' DVD includes virus
      + Microsoft accidentally infects customers with virus
      + Microsoft fails to patch own servers

    * Bad by Design
      + Default password is blank!   [ SQL server ]
      + Don't open that Powerpoint or Excel file!
      + Microsoft IIS webserver wide open

    * Miscellaneous
      + Insurer considers Windows High-Risk
      + Internet Explorer bug pops up pornographic ads
      + Code Red and Nimda worms cause global Internet problems
      + Klez   [ recent "porno from a priest" and "email from dead people" ]
      + Sharpei

2. Microsoft - Not Just Buggy Software, Privacy Invasion, too!

    * Microsoft is Watching You
      + WinXP Search Assistant silently downloads files
      + IE 5.5 Tracking Default Bookmarks
      + MS TV: It'll be watching you
      + Small MS DVD privacy invasion, not many dead
      + IE Feature can track web surfers without warning

    * Buggy Software Helps Hackers
      + Stealing MS Passport's Wallet [and your Credit Card numbers]
      + Windows Vulnerable to Hack Attacks   [ 'just connect to net' exploit ]
      + Cookie Data in IE can be Explosed or Altered [...]

    * Microsoft Knows Best
      + New Windows XP Feature Can Re-Edit Others' Sites   [ SmartTags ]

3. Microsoft - Not Just Buggy Software, Strong-Arming, too!

    * Microsoft's lobby efforts eclipse Enron
    * Lobbyists Tied to Microsoft Wrote Citizen's Letters   [ dead people ]
    * A Punitive Puppeteer?   [ don't use FrontPage to disparage MS ]
    * Software giant looks to bury test results...
    * DoJ skewers MS exec over falsified video
    * .NET vote rigging [...]
    * Gateway bows to MS's power
    * Check the Fine Print   [ MS auto-updates piss of sysadmins ]
    * MSN.com shuts out non-MS browsers

I'm also working on a generic "links" document, which includes:

  * Linux
    + Linux Online   (linux.org)
    + Linux.com
    + Linux International   (li.org)
    + The Linux Doc. Project   (tldp.org)

  * Open Source / Free Software
    + Why OSS/FS? Look at the Numbers!   (dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html)
    + Open Source Initiative   (opensource.org)
    + Free Software Foundation   (fsf.org)

  * Local LUGs
    + LUGOD
    + SacLUG
    + RoseLUG

  * Privacy and Rights Online
    + EFF

  * Linux Publications
    + Linux Journal   (linuxjournal.com)
    + Linux Magazine   (linux-mag.com)
    + Linux Focus   (tldp.org/linuxfocus)
    + Linux Gazette   (tldp.org/LDP/LG)

  * Misc/General/News
    + Linux Today
    + Slashdot
    + NewsForge

What else, if anything, should I add to this 'links' handout?

What other things should we pass out at the WEF?
(Other than all the handouts above, and the DemoLinux and Mandrake discs)

Thanks!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/