2002 May 02 18:29

Re: [vox] Win4Lin vs VMWare...

I haven't ran Win4Lin so I dunno... I was also looking for an evaluation
version, but no such luck.

For me, VMWare (2.x and now 3.0) is nice.  I have Windows 98 SE installed
on the physical disk, but got sick of 98 SE crashing.  I setup VMWare to
boot it.  (I tried this setup with Windows 2000 as well, but the ACPI on
Motherboard vs Normal PnP BIOS from VMWare was too much for me to
overcome).  It has sound and some DirectX support (Half-Life in software
mode works fine).  I use it for a few games and office.

<RUMOR>
My friend with Windows XP has an external?!? (he says) winmodem that
wasn't supported.  He uses VMWare to run 98 and then shares the modem from
that.
</RUMOR>

I don't think your DC10 driver will work, because VMWare won't pass it
through its hardware layer.  You get VMWare's SVGA Driver, hard drive
driver, sound driver (SB16 compatible), and network driver (AMD PCNet),
regardless of what you really have in the system.

VMWware froze up on me while shutting down this morning... First time. :)
-Tom
tlburnett@ucdavis.edu