2002 May 01 09:57

Re: [vox] Are you jobs boring?

You mean Richard, not Don. ;-)

I think our IT guys just fell victim to M$ propoganda.  Unfortunately, you'll find that most departments in UCD are M$ based, and getting a department head to change their mind is just a bit easier than pulling teeth out of your own head with a monkey wrench.

At least, it's that way in administrative departments.  :)

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:26:02AM -0700, andy wergedal wrote:
> Don, I agree with you and your IT guys are ignorant.
>
> I work for a company that _sells_ a web base application
> that is open source. It is written in ASP and has 60+
> installed clients world wide.
>
> Open source is not insecure it is just available to be
> read, like a book on the Manhatten Project. Just because
> you can read it doesn't mean that it is inherently
> insecure.
>
> -- Andy
>
> PS I am finally off the world-wide project from Hell. Yea!
>

> --- Don Werve <donw@examen.com> wrote:
> [quote] "Even though this conversation was based on the
> fact that the department had already spent tons of money on
> a Cold Fusion server, is determined to use IIS and Access,
> and the IT guys here believe that because PHP is open
> source it's insecure (a quote: "Since everyone has access
> to the source code, all of the security flaws are completed
> overexploited!").
>

> =====

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford