2002 May 01 09:27

Re: [vox] Are you jobs boring?

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 08:41:20AM -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> But you're right.  Even though this conversation was based on the
> fact that the department had already spent tons of money on a Cold
> Fusion server, is determined to use IIS and Access, and the IT guys
> here believe that because PHP is open source it's insecure (a quote:
> "Since everyone has access to the source code, all of the security
> flaws are completed overexploited!").

Scary that some people do think that; I would have challenged him to a
contest.  Put up one of their crack-team secured ColdFusion servers,
running on IIS, up on the web; and put up a Linux box, scavenged together
from spare parts, running a base install of Debian with only the items
needed to run Apache and PHP (can all be done from apt), and with minimal
security work done (run apt-get upgrade, close down a few services, that's
it).

Publish the IPs on irc.k1dd13s.net, in #fuck_me_gently_with_a_chainsaw,
and see which machine dies first... ;)

> I still feel good about myself.  I'm sure I do.

It's the heroin.  Choose life!