January 6: Social gathering
2002 Apr 30 23:52

Re: [vox] Are you jobs boring?

Couple of illustrative dialogues from my current temp assignment:

Me:  Just wondering why this department's website doesn't use Cold
Fusion and keep the disclosure information in an Access backend.  It
would standardize the process and make everything uniform.

Departmental web guy (and I swear I'm not making this up):  What's a
backend?

...and...

Other Clerical Guy:  I figured out how to set up Outlook to check my
personal e-mail.  Want me to show you how?

Me:  No thanks, I just use Secure CRT to SSH into my Linux box at home
and use Mutt to check my mail there.  Blah blah blah Fetchmail blah blah
daemon blah Sendmail blah blah blah firewall blah blah blah maybe
install Cygwin and xfree86 components here at work...

OCG:  Right.  Gotcha.

Okay, the second one isn't fair of me, and I freely admit that I'm
probably one of those show-offs that drives most knowledgeable IT guys
crazy (the sysadmin at my last job told me, "You're always causing me
trouble, aren't you Richard?"... though when I apologized he said, "No,
that's cool, at least it's a challenge, and you haven't opened any
viruses").

On the other hand, I *do* think I've earned *some* bragging rights. ;-)

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 20:53, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> Just wondering how many people are finding there jobs lack that deep technical
> aspect that furthers your knowledge? Anyone here in a job that feels like its
> actually holding you back...
>
> And anyone come across a show-off or show-offs at the work place who only know
> a smattering of stuff?
>
> Just had to blow that off :). Guess I am getting seriously bored at Apple...
>
> Matt
> Ps Its ok to know a smattering of stuff, as long as you know it :).
> PPs Linux and Open Source further learning at knowledge, which comes at a
> pricve...Other techs from gui systems have no idea what you're talking abotu
> lol.

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com