2002 Apr 30 16:17

[vox] DemoLinux

Z-World has been gracious enough to burn some CDs for our upcoming
appearance at the Whole Earth Festival.

Last night I was informed that a new version of 'DemoLinux' is available,
and thought that it would be the perfect thing to hand out at an event
like the WEF (as well as our regular demos, and even our regular meetings).

For those who don't know, DemoLinux is a version of Linux which runs,
pretty much self-contained, on a CDROM.  (It can 'anchor' itself to
a hard disk, by creating a 100MB file on an existing Windows partition,
which is used for swap, /home and /tmp)  It's the perfect kind of thing
to hand to a non-Linux-convert, and say "here, just boot this up, and you'll
be running Linux!"

Anyway, before we go about getting copies burned, I was wondering if someone
with a CDR would be kind enough to download the ISO and test it out, to
make sure it works as advertised.

Here's one place to get it from:

  ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/demolinux/3.0/

Pete also suggested we ask the general membership for help in burning CDs,
so that we can have LOTs of copies to give away in the future, as well.

If someone can try it, please reply back to VOX.  Once you've tested it,
post again to let us know how it worked! :)

Thanks!

-bill!
pr@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/