2002 Apr 29 16:35

Re: [vox] Linux World in August...

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting R. Douglas Barbieri (doug@dooglio.net):
>
> > However, all is not well in LinuxWorld land. I went to their registration
> > page using Mozilla and Netscape 6--both browsers bring up blank pages when
> > I click on the "Register Now" button.  Gee, what a suprise, it doesn't
> > work with Links either... (I have not tried it with Opera, however, but
> > I suspect it would fail as well).
>
> As usual, that was outsourced to morons.
>
> If memory serves, you can use Konqueror, or any copy of
> Mozilla/Galeon/etc. that sends the browser-ID string the site wants to
> see.

works with opera 6.0 beta as well, if you enable popups.  ugh.

i have nothing against business suit losers who couldn't configure a
mouse if it bit them on the butt.

but you'd think they'd be intelligent enough to outsource this kind of
thing to the right kind of people.  it's downright embarrasing.  on the
page http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldexpo/v31/index.cvn?ID=10002

check out what the prefered font is.

check out the DOS style text that the page is written with.

here's nmap on www.linuxworldexpo.com:

   Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
   Interesting ports on www.iconvention.com (64.124.73.43):
   (The 1545 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
   Port       State       Service
   25/tcp     open        smtp
   80/tcp     open        http
   135/tcp    filtered    loc-srv
   137/tcp    filtered    netbios-ns
   138/tcp    filtered    netbios-dgm
   139/tcp    filtered    netbios-ssn
   465/tcp    open        smtps
   1032/tcp   open        iad3
   5631/tcp   open        pcanywheredata

   No exact OS matches for host (If you know what OS is running on it, see
   http://www.insecure.org/cgi-bin/nmap-submit.cgi).
   TCP/IP fingerprint:
   SInfo(V=2.54BETA31%P=i586-pc-linux-gnu%D=4/29%Time=3CCDD60B%O=25%C=1)
   TSeq(Class=RI%gcd=1%SI=383E%IPID=BI%TS=U)
   TSeq(Class=RI%gcd=1%SI=40D6%IPID=BI%TS=U)
   TSeq(Class=RI%gcd=1%SI=3E65%TS=U)
   T1(Resp=Y%DF=Y%W=2017%ACK=S++%Flags=AS%Ops=M)
   T2(Resp=N)
   T3(Resp=Y%DF=Y%W=2017%ACK=S++%Flags=AS%Ops=M)
   T4(Resp=N)
   T5(Resp=Y%DF=N%W=0%ACK=S++%Flags=AR%Ops=)
   T6(Resp=N)
   T7(Resp=N)
   PU(Resp=N)

not sure what to make of it -- isn't pcanywhere is a windows daemon?

whatever rick said about LUG websites and frontpage, it's even MORE
embarrasing when it happens on a national scale.