2002 Apr 25 09:22

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Lugod Demo Computer Hardware Details

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] Lugod Demo Computer Hardware Details

[I realized I'm talking about xVGA to NTSC, not "digital to analog", but
see below]

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 12:06:04PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> henry mentioned he believes the quality of the image suffers greatly
> when you use a converter.

Yes, but... for people more than 3 feet away from the screen (ie the
public crowding around) it's sufficient, and an excellent trade off.

> i suppose that would have something to do with the converter itself
> though.
>
> anyone convert digital <-> analog signal with good results?

Absolutely.  There is one called a "TV-ator" by Antec at Frys that's about
$70-$80 dollars.

I'll never buy another video card with "direct tv out".  It's just not
worth all the drivers and crappy PC-based configuring you have to do.
TV-ator doesn't care about resolution or refresh rate (although the
picture does change position slightly depending on these).  640x480
through 1024x768 up to 75hz is what I've tested.

> begin Gabriel Rosa <grosa@ucdavis.edu>
> > On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > we can't use it with the demo machine because the monitor takes only
> > > digital input and the voodoo5 is analog output.

Didn't see the original on this, but analog vs digitial into what?  VGA?
I don't know of any digital monitor connection scheme in existance at the
moment, so please enlighten me...  (Just checked it, still no clearer...
If this is a "standard" xVGA type monitor/video card there is no
difference in signalling electronically, they're all analog... anything to
the contrary is marketing hype, or referring to the overloading of the
sync lines for DPMS controls, which are in-spec even for monitors that
don't understand them.)

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/