January 6: Social gathering
2002 Apr 13 15:29

RE: [vox] KVM's ( Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen)

Eeck!  You mean a 'switch box'?  Nope.  Those just have wires and have a
tendency to send spikes down the line when you move the mechanical
contacts.  I tend to use Belkin.  They are cheap (in cost and
construction) but they perform adequatly.  There are others in the same
range though.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-admin@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-admin@lists.lugod.org] On
Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 9:58 PM
To: vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

I  have 2 kvms,  one kvm in the garage that multiplexes a couple
machines together which feeds a longview to the upstairs office into
another kvm in the office.

I'm doing 1280x1024 with no problems on a 17" lcd.

I find that this works well.  The office machines are either not always
on or in the office closet while the firewall,  linux server, video
server, etc are in the garage and since they are all linux boxen I don't
have to do much service on them.

The one thing that doesn't work is the wheel mouse although I think it's
the upstairs kvm that's the problem.

I really like the Longview for moving equipment into another room,  my
office is really quiet unless I have the local machine running.  (note:
I have a local machine for the scanner).  I should also note that I put
all of my printers on print servers which is nice in that I don't have
to have a computer up to manage a printer.

Bob Maccione
University of Phoenix

longview:
http://www.cybex.com/Cybex/PublicW2.nsf/gwmsfslvprt?OpenFrameSet