2002 Apr 12 18:03

RE: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

Ok, so the volunteer is clearly doing a favor, all good then.

As to rule #23, well, I was refering to web LUG site's that were
obviously created in FrontPage etc...  When I was looking for a local
group in fact, I followed a lot of links that put into those pages, but
that was also 2 years ago.

Oh yes, before someone points it out, I use an MS email client.  I have
hopes to fix that soon, but MS products put money in my bank for now, so
I gotta know them, understanding Linux will help me integrate and more
effectively be aware of HOW to use it as it becomes more of an option
for installations at the companies I support.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-admin@lists.lugod.org [mailto:vox-admin@lists.lugod.org] On
Behalf Of Peter Jay Salzman
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 3:40 PM
To: vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox] Re: Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

begin speck@blkmtn.org <speck@blkmtn.org>
> I don't know about that.
>
> LERT seems to break Rule #22

we've spoken about this, actually.

i think rick's intention was don't enter business committments.

i don't think LERT applies because we're not "in business".  nobody is
out to make any money or profit. we are very up front with people -- if
nobody volunteers, nobody comes.  there have been a few people we had to
ignore because lert members were just too busy with life.  that totally
sucks for the people who wanted help.  but that's the way a voluntary
service works.  our contract specifically says that the person who
arrives to do the work arrives not as a representative of lugod, but out
of the kindness of his heart.

lert is absolutely free of any kind of charge.  and in fact, i've gone
on 2 LERT calls and didn't get a donation for the group.   and i'm fine
with that; that's the way the cookie crumbles.

so far, lugod has never entered into a business venture with anyone.
we've been offered plenty of partnerships, business ventures, requests
for formal support, etc.   and some of it has been quite generous.  very
generous.   but to date, we're completely unfettered by business
committments.

we also give out computer equipment, but it's stuff that would otherwise
be thrown away like 2 button PS/2 mice or systems which are fit only for
firewalling.  i don't think that applies either.

> on other fronts....
> Rule #23 ROFL, I have seen this to many times on list
> serv's.

not lugod!   some of our members maybe...

pete