2002 Apr 12 11:49

Re: [vox] Good LUG HOW-TO by Rick Moen

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 10:19:12AM -0700, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> I just wanted to say Rick Moen wrote a very good article about how to
> setup a linux user's group.  The article appears in login; which is a
> publication of USENIX and SAGE (membership or subscription required).
>
> Rick, can this article be posted on VOX with your permision?

Stephen, was it this one?

  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/essays/newlug.html

I found it a while after LUGOD had been around, and was happy to
see we had already been following a lot of his instructions. ;)

  1. Yep, have a webpage! :)
  2. Yep, URL is reasonable!
  3. Yep, got a regular meeting location (thx Lamppost, thx Z-World!)
  4. Yep, got a regular meeting time (if not a little confusing to some)
  5. Mmm... we only conflict with some far-away LUGs (eg, Berkeley)
  6. Meetings ALWAYS happen. And almost always as-advertised. ;)
  7. We have a core set of enthusiasts... the core changes over time, tho
  8. Since we don't have mailboxes on lugod.org, we HAVE to do out-of-band
  9. We're on all those LUG lists (except the webring), and more!
 10. We've got login at LUGOD.org (thx Rod!)
 11. Not applicable.  I login and edit the website almost DAILY :)
     If I do die or something, it's easily maintained, and time-sensitive
     stuff can be scaled down (eg, only list LUGOD meetings, no others)
 12. Always include day of week, whether I likes it or not
 13. Next event always at the top of the front page.  Usually within hours
     of the previous meeting ending. :)
 14. Maps, directions; check.  Not one speaker has gotten lost ;)
 15. <b>Free</b>... got it!
 16. Installfests have about the coolest RSVP form anywhere :)
 17. Got referell pages, some simpler redirecting URLs, and even 'smart' 404s!
 18. Revision date. Check. PHP rules.
 19. I browse the 404 errors now and then.
 20. Yeah... we 'considered' mailing lists.  Like, 3 times over ;)
 21. We are not an ISP.
 22. We do not do any other business. (Some community work, tho)
 23. If we don't walk the walk, I don't know who DOES ;)

W00t!