2002 Apr 11 16:24

Re: [vox] Upcoming meeting news!

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>

> LUGOD has got some cool meetings coming up for the new few months!
>
> Here's the current line-up!
>

>   This Monday, April 15th   (Tax day!)
>
>     Verbus M. Counts on the VI editor
>     (he's been using it for a long, long time)

will this be vi or vim?

i don't think linux distros carry vi anymore.  all the distros i've seen
have a symlink called "vi" which links (eventually) to vim.  i don't
think GNU even has a version of vi.   RMS is probably content with the
work that bram moolenar and sven guckes are doing.

there are some really cool features of vi/vim that i've only touched the
surface of.  someday i would like to reach the point where i can do
vim's "recorded macros" (q and @) and vanilla vi's "do again mechanism"
(.) without thinking or planning.

i think it would be useful if we assumed that people know the basics of
how to create a "hello world" document with vi, so we can get to the
really cool stuff like macros, mode bouncing, registers, tags and marks.
registers are cool, but not strictly necessary for normal usage since we
have a mouse and a /tmp directory.  however, i think marks and tag
support are 2 features of vi/vim that are most useful and least used.

i've found that for all i know about vi/vim, talking to other people
about vi/vim invariably teaches me more.  it's like there's an infinite
amount of cool stuff to learn, just with vi/vim.

>   Tuesday, June 4th   (keep an eye on this meeting!!!)
>
>     Robin Gross, an attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
>
>     http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/#2002.06.04

how does that woman have the wil to do all the travelling and promoting
that she does?   she must have one of the busiest schedules out of
anyone i know.  i hear she like wheat crust on pizzas.   we should get a
few for that meeting.

> We also might have someone from Jim Henson's Creature Shop come up
> to talk about their use of Linux and Open Source!  (No idea when, yet.)

ooooooo-yeaaaaaah.....

pete