2002 Apr 11 08:18

Other sucky "sequels" [Re: [vox] [OT]: george lucas - a galacticgasbag]

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 13:08, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> lucas is such a weenie.   nobody has ever earned the right to disappoint
> fans as much as phantom menace did.  i'd say that even return of the
> jedi came awfully close to sucking (he explains a possible reason for
> this too).

Huh!  RotJ has always been my favorite.  Love them ewoks n' speedbikes!

No arguments about the "Lucas is a weenie" part, though, and definitely
no arguments about the suckhood of episode one.

Still, even that didn't suck as bad as, say, the second Highlander
movie.  Anyone a Highlander fan?  Filled with hundreds of
inconsistencies with the rest of the line.  The plot?  Douglas MacCloud
suddenly "remembers" that he's really an alien from another dimension or
something, and the "quickening" is a special bond he formed with Sean
Connery's character (forgot his name).  This same quickening allows
MacCloud to call [Sean Connery] back from the dead to help him, who only
sticks around long enough to give up his life force to save MacCloud and
his girlfriend's lives.  Ostensibly, one could simply call him right
back again....  Some of the cheesiest parts are that Connery suddenly
appears in the middle of a Hamlet performance, and the interactions
there; and after MacCloud kills his first other highlander in some time,
he immediately gets extremely frisky with his just-met female
companion.  That's our sex scene - tawdry stand-up in the alley.
Cheeze....

When they made the next movie, they pretty much just ignored that entire
second movie, and pretended like it never happened, making the third
movie a "second sequel" to the first.

-Micah