2002 Apr 04 18:45

[vox] (fwd) Call For Articles -- Alternative Operating Systems (Winter 2

[vox] (fwd) Call For Articles -- Alternative Operating Systems (Winter 2002)

-- forwarded message --
From: Sigrid Roehling <sroehling@ucdavis.edu>
Newsgroups: ucd.cs.club
Subject: Call For Articles -- Alternative Operating Systems (Winter 2002)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 14:49:10 -0800
To: Sigrid Roehling <sroehling@ucdavis.edu>

Call For Articles
Crossroads, the Association for Computing Machinery Student Magazine
Alternative Operating Systems (Winter 2002)

DUE DATE: April 15, 2002
SUBMISSION ADDRESS: http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/
INFORMATION: crossroads@acm.org
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/cfas/altos.html

The Crossroads editorial staff invites authors to submit articles
dealing with topics drawn from several areas pertaining to
Alternative Operating Systems. The following partial list of topics
is provided to give prospective authors ideas for articles and is by
no means exhaustive; other relevant topics will be considered. Papers
that draw connections between two or more of these areas are especially
welcome.

Issues of computer architecture, resource management, performance
evaluation, security, and communication for alternative operating
systems such as:
*    Macintosh
*    Linux (and other UNIX)
*    Palm OS
*    BeOS

Alternative operating systems' approaches to current problems in
computing such as:
*    Mobile computing
*    Ubiquitous computing
*    Speculative caching
*    Embedded systems
*    Developing applications for alternative operating systems
*    Data sharing between different operating systems
*    Emulation software to run multiple operating systems

Articles should include a basic description of the kinds of problems
being worked on, the state of the art of research, the state of the
art  of commercial applications, open problems, or future research or
commercial development trends. Interviews with researchers; reviews of
related books, software, videos, or conferences; and opinion columns on
related issues are also welcome. We especially encourage both
undergraduate and graduate students to submit articles. However,
articles written or coauthored by professionals will also be considered.

Crossroads articles should be written for a broad audience. They should
be easily understandable by someone who has had only the most basic
computer science instruction, and yet still be interesting to the
advanced computer enthusiast. Articles longer than 6,000 words will
generally not be considered for publication. Feature articles should be
between 1,500 and 6,000 words; reviews should be between 800 and 2,000
words; and opinion columns should be between 800 and 3,000 words.
Articles should be written in a magazine-style rather than a research
paper-style. In consideration of our diverse readership, authors should
try  to use language that is inclusive of people regardless of their
gender, race, religion, nationality, or field of study. Additional
writing guidelines and submission information are available online at
http://www.acm.org/crossroads/doc/information/writing.html

Crossroads is published both online and in print. We have a print
circulation of about 20,000. All back issues are available for free on
our Web site, http://www.acm.org - Authors that have an article printed
in Crossroads can receive complementary copies of the issue they were
published in.

All submissions should be formatted in HTML or plain text format and
submitted via http://www.acm.org/crossroads/submit/

Submissions are due April 15, 2002. They will be reviewed shortly
thereafter and authors of accepted submissions will be notified within
two to three weeks of the deadline.

Prospective authors are invited to send email to the editors of
Crossroads (crossroads@acm.org) indicating their intention to submit
an article. In this way we can keep everyone informed of any changes
in deadlines or formats and to make sure we have a good variety of
articles. General questions should also be sent to the Crossroads
editors.

--
William Stevenson
Editor in Chief