2002 Apr 03 14:53

[vox] Re: (fwd) defragment

We should start answering this by being totally clear that if you
defragment the partition that contains /boot, then you will probably
break the installation of LILO on your MBR, because it hard-codes the
physical location of the kernel which changes when you defragment.

GRUB is immune from this sort of thing (because it looks through the
file system), and the problem can be solved by rerunning LILO after
defragmenting, but nevertheless, this could potentially be a big problem
with defragmenting.