2002 Mar 29 17:53

Re: [vox] Another Linux Success Story (or, Why I Love Linux!)

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:

> Hey guys,
<deletia>
> that we forgo Windows and install Linux instead. She was cool with it as
> long as she could run some games and basic word-processing (so I'm
> thinking KDEGames and AbiWord at this point).

OpenOffice is what I would have recommended, but for the basics Abi does
fine.

> She brought the machines over to my place a couple of weekends back and in
> a couple of hours, I successfully installed Mandrake 8.1, choosing the KDE
> window manager. I then installed the kdegames and AbiWord, among other
> applications. The machines autoboot into X (run level 5), and I set it so
> that they autologin to a non-privelged account. So, all one has to do is
> power the machines on, and after a little while, a desktop appears with
> all kinds of game icons on the desktop. :)
>
> The only downside was that she was short a serial mouse for one of the
> boxes, so she could only set up one of the machines at school until she
> can get another mouse.

How about you give me an address and I'll ship a few extra mice and kb's
her way? I literally have almost 2 dozen at my home.

> She told me that the computer was a big hit with the kids. They took
> right to it! The kdegames package has so many cool little games they can
> play (MUCH better than the games which come stock with Windows).

Well it only takes a 6 year old about 20 minutes to become
Pontiff-Grand-Master of Minesweeper.