2002 Mar 29 15:27

Re: [vox] Request from academic researcher

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 02:34:20PM -0800, ME wrote:

> Would you ask a fellow list member to give you a ride to the
> airport? Probably not - unless you know/knew them from the physical world
> too. Just some guesses on where they are going with their results.

There are people who I feel I know better and are closer to me, that I've
either never, or very infrequently met in Real Life.  (Folks from LUGOD
mailing list and, esp., folks I've met on IRC and Usenet.)

Then there are people who I've met at LUGOD meetings, but that's it.
Due to time-constraints, and how thinly I'm spread at meetings, I've
really never gotten to know them.

<snip>
> It is not so bad of a form, but not trusting spam, I created a new alias
> for reply mails. I'll know if that address is sold to spammers. :-)

And unfortunately, since Rice used a 3rd party (some freebie survey website),
it'd be hard to tell who sold your address.  (I'd bet on it being the
survey site, if it happened, though... :) )