2002 Mar 27 11:03

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, John McDonnell wrote:

> http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK500MC&displaylist=Output,Astericks#anchor1

Yep.  That's the right one.

> There are two power protected (and conditioned) ports and one surge
> protected. If you have the monitor (this is the thing that's causing you
> grief, right?) plugged into the cord hanging out the back , it's not
> conditioned (to the best of my knowledge, *that*' the surge only one).

Yep, already knew that and did The Right Thing (tm).

> As I said, used to work for 'em. Did you know that the alarm pitch is
> slightly different for the various models? A power fluctuation in the
> T&E/L10n lab was quite musical (well, sort of... dissonant would be
> another possibility :) )
> The monitoring software can apparently be used for some rather interesting
> applications too...

Thanks, John.

It's quite an interesting UPS.  It's apparently pretty sensitive to
current changes -- if I have my heater on, and the fridge on, and someone
is using something down stairs, the UPS kicks in (and stays in that mode
until either my fridge turns off or the heater turns off), even though
it's enough current to keep the computer going safely.  It's nice knowing
there's that extra safety, except the UPS runs out of power if the heater
and the fridge stays on for a long time.  At least it warns you -- The
UPS's alarm kicked in the other day without the usual ~1 second pauses; I
got scared and shut down the computer... :)

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/