2002 Mar 27 08:14

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, John McDonnell wrote:

> It would appear that on Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Mark K. Kim did say:
>
> > It's Back-UPS 500.
>
> http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BK500MC&displaylist=Output,Astericks#anchor1
>
> There are two power protected (and conditioned) ports and one surge
> protected. If you have the monitor (this is the thing that's causing you
> grief, right?) plugged into the cord hanging out the back , it's not
> conditioned (to the best of my knowledge, *that*' the surge only one).

It doesn't look to me like "conditioned" means "active power conversion".
I cannot find a schematic, but the specs indicate an 8ms "transfer
(blackout response) time", so it appears to operate in bypass mode until
power drops out and then the utility is disconnected and the inverter
takes over within 8ms.  Thus, relatively small disturbances will pass
right through the transfer switch to the "conditioned" outputs.

Surge protection is just that... surge protection.  It involves MOVs or
SOVs that shunts current to ground when the voltage waveform tries to
exceed the normal peak instantaneous voltage of about 170V plus some
margin.  If the problem is flicker (short voltage drops to, say, just
above 103V rms) then neither surge protection nor a transfer switch type
UPS will address it.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing