2002 Mar 26 16:47

[vox] Fwd: New Bill attempts to regulate hardware, software development

[vox] Fwd: New Bill attempts to regulate hardware, software development

I saw this on Buqtraq the other day. I know this is somewhat old
news to most everyone, but I though I'd pass it along since it appears
they are trying to hide the bill by giving it a new name. Also, since
Sen. Dianne Feinstein is on the bill, we can do our duty as concerned
Californian voters (those of us in California at least) by contacting
her and letting her know our objections to this bill. Her contact
information is at:

http://www.senate.gov/~feinstein/contact.html

A combination of emails and actual letters would probably be most
effective. Do try to remember to be polite and list why such a bill
would negatively impact your professional and/or personal use of
computers. Emphasis on the infeasibility of such a system being created
within the timeframe might also be good. Propose alternatives that
are less restrictive such as pouring more money into open standards
security research which could develop a voluntary system of copyright
protection that I am sure the entertainment industry would snatch
right up. The upside of the bill was at least it insisted upon open
standards, although that did bring another thought to mind. How would
it interact with the DMCA?