2002 Mar 26 01:06

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

These are partly different issues:

1) A big power using device on a circuit decreases power available to
other devices when it is powered on. This is often seen with TV when it
dims/flickers as a result of your fridge coming on, and is suggestive of
bad wiring, or excession of the power rating for your homecircuits. This
in a place where a UPS can really help and make sure your critical devices
are not impacted by other devices draining power.

2) EMI can be caused by electrons flowing through wires. In addition to
the EM fields that can impact other electronic circuits, it is also
possible to have wires in certain shapes or lengths act as antenna to
produce RF interference too. Of course, elentronix circuits of similar
lenngth can be impacted by receipt of those RF signals, or flow can be
harmed by EMI. UPS wont help much with these.

What you described with multiple devices having problems with a big power
consumer (fridge) - usually not located near a computer (making 2 less
likely as distance leads to a loss of interference by roughly 1/r^2) item
1 seemed most likely.

How close is your fridge to your computer and other devices?

Also, have seen your exact description from others (TV, Monitor, and DSL
box getting strong flicker when washing machine or fridge started up), but
"fixed" with UPS.

If, #2 is the problem, the suggestion for looking at your fridge is a good
one.

How close is the computer to the fridge?