2002 Mar 27 11:03

Re: [vox] [OT] Smoothing out the powerline signal?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:42:30AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Do you have any brand + model numbers?
>
> -Mark
>
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, ME wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > > I got a mini-fridge and a small heater in my room.  Whenever they turn
> > > on/off, they seem to cause powerline interruptions that affects my DSL
> > > modem and my computer monitor (and who knows what else -- my system
> > > unit?).  I'm concerned about them causing damages.  Are there any devices
> > > that smoothes out the powerline signal?
> >
> > I'll state the obvious:
> > Get a UPS that converts AC incoming power to DC over batteries and
> > sythesizes its own AC signal.
> >
> > (Not trying to be mean or anything.)

APC makes some nice units for the medium- to high-end, and their low-end
units are about the same as anything else on the market, only more expensive.

If you have serious cash burning a hole in your pocket, get a small Liebert
unit.  Hands-down the best UPSes.  Used by most big datacenters for a reason.

Also the most pricey.

Belkin makes some very nice, inexpensive, lead-acid battery UPSes; if you
get one, get the one that's shaped kind of like a car battery[1]; it lasts
a little longer than the slim one, but throws out quite a bit more amperage,
and can handle my 19" ViewSonic monitor and power-hungry Athlon with no
problems.  The slim one couldn't.

Expect to spend about $100 or so at Fry's.  Don't order one online, as the
shipping will be brutal, and a return will be even more so.

[1] If car batteries were styled by a San Fransisco design firm that was used
    to handling dot-com architecture.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Unix System Administrator