2002 Mar 21 14:35

[vox] Demo Day Idea

Here's an idea for demo day.  This demo will provide evidence of the utter
superiority of Linux to Windows for uses important to the non-geek.  I have
not applied this test to XP, but it applies to 98 at least.

Make the demo computer a dual boot computer, and attach a printer to it.  Put
a thirty page document on both the Linux and Windows sides.  The document is
identical on both platforms.  So you would install Star Office on the Windows
partition.

Begin printing the document on Windows.  As the document begins to print have
a spectator sit down and try to multitask.  The person can (try to) play a
game of solitaire, or type a new word processing document, or surf the web if
possible.

Then after the person gives up in about two minutes, reboot into Linux and
repeat the experiment.  While the document is printing the spectator can use
the computer without any problem.  This would be a convincing, graphic
demonstration that Linux is worth a try.

Bob