2002 Mar 06 16:56

Re: [vox] SPAM!

On Wednesday, March 06 2002 04:39 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> my gut feeling is to not mangle content.  i definitely feel for ryan.
> spam can truly lead a person to distraction.  but messing around with
> peoples' content is ... icky.
>
> ryan, i assume ryan@mother.com is nothing more than a vox/lugod wrapper?

It's my actual email address, I have checked and found I DID use it
ELSEWHERE, on the kde bug trackingsystem, and in a comment on transgaming.com

> bill -- here's a crazy idea.   can we put wpoison on each lugod web
> page?  it doesn't have to be visible; as long as the robot reads in the
> webpage and starts following links to harvest addresses.

Wpoison is great, they'll just give up and toss the lists, most likely.

You might also try somthing like what I've set up at
http://www.mother.com/~ryan/htbin/email.pl

That does get delivered to me, but it takes advantage of my isp's mail server
setup to tag the requesters ip (in hex) and the time/date into the alais so I
know who's harvesting.

> pete
>

> begin Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org>
>
> > We already do the MAPS thing with the headers.  But do we want to start
> > mangling the content?  (maybe yes, maybe no, I'm just sayin'.)
> >
> > -Mark
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > oh, the archive.  ok. errrr... we could do that.  or better yet, do the
> > > MAPS thing that we do with the membership pages.
> > >
> > > henry?
> > >
> > > pete
> > >
> > > begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> > --