2002 Mar 08 09:35

Re: [vox] HR 1542 passed the House

Why is this bill bad? I glanced through the rest of the bill and
I didn't see anything that jumped out at me.  Maybe there is
something subtle change that makes it impossible for the ISPs
to compete???

Joel

It states:
`(b) OBLIGATIONS OF INCUMBENT LOCAL EXCHANGE CARRIERS- Each incumbent
local exchange carrier has the duty to provide--

`(1) Internet users with the ability to subscribe to and have access
to any Internet service provider that interconnects with such
carrier's high speed data service;

`(2) any Internet service provider with the right to acquire the
facilities and services necessary to interconnect with such carrier's
high speed data service for the provision of Internet access service;

`(3) any Internet service provider with the ability to collocate
equipment in accordance with the provisions of section 251, to the
extent necessary to achieve the objectives of paragraphs (1) and (2)
of this subsection; and

`(4) any provider of high speed data services, Internet backbone
service, or Internet access service with special access for the
provision of Internet access service within a period no longer than
the period in which such incumbent local exchange carrier provides
special access to itself or any affiliate for the provision of such
service.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:1:./temp/~c107Mnoskz:e619: