2002 Feb 27 10:02

Re: [vox] Loose Solaris now ask me how.

hi stephen,

i think your last sentence says it.  games would be a good benchmark.
the doom efforts (legacy, prboom, zdoom) and quake (quakeforge, project
twilight, dark places) would be good.

also, i wrote some statistical mechanics code and quantum simulators
that would be good benchmarks if you wanted to look into this further.

pete

begin Stephen M. Helms <Mytho_X@pacbell.net>
> Ok, speaking of this, I am not sure of what apps I should try on both OS's
> to give a better detailed description of speed.  Also, I still need to
> setup silo (sparc intelligent loader) so that it boots solaris.
>
> Here are the specs for my Sun Ultra 5:
> 360MHZ UltraSparc IIi processor
> 64MB RAM
> 8.4GB Hard disk (partition as 6GB Solaris, 2GB linux)
> 2 network interface cards (one integrated, one add on card with scsi-2,
> both recogized as Sun Happy Meal)
> 4MB ATI Mach64 based video
> 17" Monitor using 1152 x 864 resolution
>
> So far it outperforms my work laptop (466MHZ Celeron, with 256MB RAM, 4MB
> ATI Mach64 mobile) also running sid.  X seems to startup almost instantly
> and defendguin runs really well.  I do not have Quake 3 arena running on it
> yet.  The installer says it does not support glibc21 on sparc64 arch.  If I
> get Quake running with one of the patches, then I will run a quake test on
> it.
>
> Stephen
>

> > if you have some numbers (or even some more detailed touch-feely
> > descriptions) to expound on this, i'd love to hear about it.

Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberty..repealing ICBM treaty..deficit..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?