2002 Feb 26 18:10

[vox] Fw: CalWeb Alert: Call or email your Congressman today

----- Original Message -----
From: "CalWeb Administration" <questions@calweb.com>
To: <undisclosed-recipients:>
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 2:21 PM
Subject: CalWeb Alert: Call or email your Congressman today

Dear CalWeb Customer,

The House will be voting on H.R. 1542 tomorrow.  This bill is designed to
remove the requirement of the monopoly phone companies to provide high speed
services to other companies, in effect undoing the Telecommunications Act of
1996 as well as the anti-trust breakup of AT&T in 1984.  This bill would
destroy competition in the Internet market and lead to the bankruptcy of
many companies such as Arrival, Covad, New Edge, and others.
Along with other measures SBC PacBell is attempting, the result would be
that your only choice for high speed service would be Pacific Bell Internet.
 No other ISP would be able to provide you service.

If you follow the news, you know that many telecommunications
companies are in danger of bankruptcy -- this bill would only make the
problem worse.

You can help.  Contact your Congressman by phone, fax, or email RIGHT AWAY.
You can find the address at http://www.house.gov/writerep/ and do it all
on-line.  Tell your representative that you are against H.R. 1542, including
all amendments, that you use independent companies for your Internet
service, and that you do not want to lose your opportunity
for choice.  Do this today if possible, tomorrow morning at the latest.

Thanks for supporting CalWeb and the California ISP Association!
(www.cispa.org)

Sincerely,

Robert Du Gaue
CalWeb Internet Services, Inc.

---------------- Sample letter to your Congress person, simply cut and
paste!

[recipient address was inserted here]

Dear [recipient name was inserted here],

I write to urge you to support competition for high-speed Internet
service by voting NO on H.R. 1542, the ironically named
"Internet Freedom and Broadband Deployment Act", currently scheduled for
debate on February 27th on the floor of the House of Representatives.

Access to high-speed Internet connections is crucial to consumers and
communities in today's economy.  High-speed connections to the Internet
can provide a lifeline to small businesses, schools and hospitals and
can help communities prosper and grow in the Information Age.

Unfortunately, predatory anti-competitive tactics on the part of ILECs
such as SBC makes it very difficult for the average mom-n-pop ISP to
compete, and this bill will only make the situation worse.

In order to prevent further erosion of competition, Congress
should NOT pass H.R. 1542.

H.R. 1542 would lock consumers into choosing either AT&T or SBC for
broadband - not much of a choice, if you ask me.  It is only through
having more choice, lower prices and more access for
high-speed Internet service that we can help strengthen our nation's
economy.

I strongly urge you to vote NO on HR 1542.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

----- End forwarded message -----