2002 Feb 22 15:21

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] php wonders. (was on vox)

> > Well, at least twice now, we've had "Intro to Linux" classes, which were
> > actually completely separate from regular LUGOD meetings.  The two times
> > we held them were at the City of Davis' computer lab on A Street.
> > The second class was actually pretty cool, because we were able to get
> > copies of Demo Linux burned (thanks, Stephen, I believe!) so we could
> > run Linux on all of the boxes without actually installing anything (except
> > a temp. file on the Windows filesystem) :) :)

Yes, the demo linux was me, thanks for remembering.

Thinking of this and also of how to get linux into a business reminded me of a
project I wanted to try.  The Dell computers at the City of Davis that we used
(as well as most Dell computer's with network cards) can use an option called
PXE to boot to the network.  The Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP) can serve
up linux to these computers.  All you need to do is set the option in BIOS to
boot to PXE or network.  You can leave the information on the local hard drive
alone and still use the computer as a Linux terminal.

So if the business you work at has alot of Dell's or systems that will boot to
the network you could set up a Linux Terminal Server to serve up linux to lots
of computers without reconfiguring them.

Stephen